Greenough Harbour Community

The GHPA Board Minutes for the Apr 5 2023 meeting are now available under the Resources tab.


Frequently Asked Questions That Prospective Lot Owners Have 

About Building at Greenough Harbour  

Updated Mar 07, 2022


Q: Who is the main contact in the development for questions not covered in this FAQ document? 

A: The Greenough Harbour Preservation Association (GHPA) Board is your main contact. Board members are volunteers who have already built their homes. Feel free to direct any questions to the board by contacting us directly through or from the website using “Contact Us” under the “About Us” tab.  


The GHPA was formed to foster community relationships, liaise with the Municipality on behalf of residents, and is legally compelled to ensure compliance with the restrictive covenants. We work closely with the Chief Building Official and the Bylaw Officer at the Municipality of the Northern Bruce Peninsula. With lot owners who are planning to build, our objective is to render assistance and help to prevent avoidable problems.  


Q: Where can I find the necessary documentation that I should become familiar with on everything that pertains to the development? 

A: Contact the Chief Building Official at the municipal office. Her name is Wendy Elliott, her email is, and her telephone number is 519-793-3522 x 227. You will want a copy of the subdivision agreement, with all appendices, including restrictive covenants and, most importantly, the Environmental Protection Plan, as well as a copy of the Community Handbook. Alternatively, all of this information can be found on our site under the “About Us” tab. 


Q: Is there a requirement to build within a certain timeframe? 

A: No. You may decide when you want to build. However, as a lot owner, you will be paying property taxes on the vacant lot, as well as membership dues for grass-cutting fees to GHPA. 


Q: Can I build whatever I want? 


A: Within reason. All homes at Greenough Harbour must be year-round vs. seasonal. Currently, they must have a minimum habitable area of 1000 sq ft., and it is recommended that the exterior colour choices blend in with the natural surroundings.  Please forward your exterior colour plans and exterior materials/finishes to the GHPA Board for review.  


Q: Will I become a member of the Association, and what does that entail? 

A: Yes. Everyone will become a member when they take title to their property. As a member, there are fees paid quarterly that vary depending on whether you own the lot only or you are building a house. The quarterly fees amount to $ 20.00 and $ 120.00 respectively in 2021-2022 and are subject to change annually. Membership includes grass cutting at the roadside, group discounted pricing for various services, educational and social events, full access to our newsletter and community website. Full paying residents (those with a building permit or house) can vote at the Annual General Meeting on the appointment of Directors, budgets and other matters. The AGM is held in early summer every year. 


Q: What septic systems are recommended, and do we have municipal water? 

A: Tertiary septic systems are required. Waterloo Bio Filter and Norweco are most commonly used at Greenough Harbour, and each of us draws water from our own wells.  


Q: Who provides internet, telephone and satellite services? 

A: GB Tel provides internet and phone service. You can reach them at 1-866-840-2858. Shaw satellite tv installation is available through Mike Reid. He can be reached at 519-935-2934.  


Q: Is there garbage pickup and recycling available? 

A: Yes. Both need to be at the roadside in your Tydee bin by 8:00 a.m. on Monday. Tydee Bins can be purchased at Scott’s Home Hardware in Lion’s Head. These bins are metal, with a closure that deters bears. They need to be anchored to a cement pad at the side of your driveway. For current rules and regulations around recycling, contact the Municipality. 


Q: Is there mail delivery? 

A: No. If you choose to receive mail at the cottage, you must contact Canada Post. Mail is delivered to the super mailbox in front of the Stokes Bay Community Center. Canada Post also has a flex delivery program where parcels from online shopping can be rerouted to Lions Head post office and held for two weeks. Visit Canada post for more information on Flex Delivery.  


Q: Where is shopping available? 

A: Lion’s Head, a twenty-minute drive to the east, is well equipped with a hardware store, grocery store, restaurants and a LCBO. Tobermory also has similar shopping and is 30 min north. Approximately forty-five minutes to the south, Wiarton offers more extensive shopping, and seventy-five minutes away is Owen Sound, with stores to suit most people’s needs. 


Q: Who is the main Builder for homes at GH? 

A: You can choose any Builder you like. A list of Builders is available at the municipal office. 


Q: How many trees can I cut down for my view to the water? 

A:  No trees may be removed from the 30-metre buffer zone, defined as 30 metres from the drip line of trees at the shore, inward towards your cottage, without the written approval of the GHPA Board. The thirty-metre zone is a wildlife corridor that must be protected. As a lakefront owner, we recognize that modest sightlines to the water are desired. Please contact your GHPA Board for more specific sight line guidelines. 


Q: Can I build a path from my house to the water? 

A: A modest footpath is allowed, with natural materials that can be easily moved in a wheelbarrow. Heavy machinery is not allowed in the 30-metre buffer zone.  


Q: Are all driveways private lanes? 

A: To be good stewards of the environment, we strongly recommend shared driveways. The development was planned in that way to reduce the amount of tree cutting and to have fewer garbage bins and hydro boxes at the roadside.  


Q: What additional structures am I allowed on my property? 

A: A garage and a bunkie. Refer to the comprehensive zoning by-law and municipal by-laws for direction. You are also allowed one deck or platform structure on the lakeside of the drip line of trees to be no more than 240 square feet, with no railings.  


Q: May I have an outdoor fire?  

A: Yes, but with conditions, and in most cases, a free annual permit is required. See Do I Need a Permit Burn Permits – Northern Bruce Peninsula.


A metal outdoor fire pit that can be picked up and moved is a non-permanent structure and is considered an open-air burn; it requires a fire permit. Take fire seriously. Fire can spread through root systems and pop up in the nearby forest. Remember that we are a forested community with only one road out of Greenough Harbour.   


Q: Do I own my land to the water’s edge? 

A: Yes. There are no reserves at the water’s edge, so it is private property to the water’s edge. 


Q: Do lot and homeowners have any walking trails available to them?  

A: Yes, residents may walk the trail on nearby municipal lands and explore the shoreline of Gauley’s Bay.  


Q: Is there a boathouse to store my boat? 

A: No. Marine storage is available through various businesses on the peninsula.